jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Acyclovir - Started June 9 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Friday, June 10, 2011

Acyclovir - Started June 9 2011

I started Acyclovir 400 mg. last night June 9 2011 (a white pill). I took it with food as recommended. I woke up in the night with an awful gut ache. Couldn't find the Prilosec and I had to wake Jani up to find it. I took the Prilosec and the ache subsided. I also have a bit of headache and left-sided neck pain this morning, but Jani thinks that might be because I fell asleep in the recliner at PET Imaging with my neck in a weird position.

I'm taking the Acyclovir to prevent a recurrence of shingles which I first had in August 2009 even though I had the live shinges vaccine May 2010. Here is a picture of the shingles I had in 2009 on my right lower back about 9 days after they broke out  - very PAINFUL.
Shingles are caused by the chickenpox virus (varicella) that remains in your body after you've had chickenpox (I had them as a child when I lived in Mountain Home, Idaho circa 1956). Then, when your immune system is depressed for any reason, the virus can re-appear as painful shingles (usually demonstrated by skin lesions, but can also be internal).



No comments:

Post a Comment