jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Day 1 - Wednesday September 14 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 1 - Wednesday September 14 2011

The accuracy of this entry may be in question since I was pretty much drugged all night after my stem cell transplant at 6:38 PM on Tuesday, September 13 2011 - but, I'll try to fill you in.

During and after the stem cell transplant procedure, I was hooked to EKG, Blood Pressure, and Pulse Ox machines to monitor my heart (standard procedure). The machine took my vital signs every 5 minutes for an hour, every 15 minutes for another hour and then every 30 minutes for way too long after that. I felt totally tethered down and wanted the blood pressure cuff OFF which they finally did around midnight.

The DSMO taste and smell dissipated and I only used one hard candy today (thanks Judy Richter for the Jolly Ranchers - they were perfect for this).

I slept off and on with the help of Ativan. My legs have been very restless and they gave me a Percocet and that finally calmed my legs down. My guts are ACID ACID and the Ativan, Nexium, and Zofran are taking the edge off that - but, not entirely.

I spent the morning today (Wednesday) snoozing off and on. I had my computer on my lap - but, I was pretty much just sleeping - I couldn't get my eyes to focus well.

My cousin, Diane Miller, came to visit me around mid-day. I always enjoy her visits. Her mother, Hedy, is my father's, Frank, younger sister and her father, Walter, is and has been my father's best friend since before he married Hedy. I wish Hedy and Walter were closer to Idaho so they could visit my father there.

Deciding what to eat is not fun - nothing sounds like it will be good.

I walked in the hallway twice. I have to wear a mask if I go out of my room.


Jani came in the evening for a little while - she had to take Kady to the vet in north Denver to have her brace refitted. I love my sister!


My blood counts are beginning to come down as expected from the melphalan. Tonight, my WBC is 2.8.
My CNA tonight is Chelsea and I cornered her for photo op.
The only times I'm not nauseated are right after Zofran IV or Ativan either orally or IV.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are progressing as expected; continuing to intend all is going well with this process for you!

    ReplyDelete