jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Day 5 - Visit from Infectious Diseases - September 11 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 5 - Visit from Infectious Diseases - September 11 2011

Since I have shingles breaking through yet again, the doctor and her student from Infectious Disease wanted to get my entire varicella (chickenpox - shingles) history before they decided on any long term treatment. For those of you who have not had the shingles - count your lucky stars each and EVERY day. Shingles are quite painful and for me, can be controlled with Percocet to some degree. Amie Meditz, MD, from the UCH Division of Infectious Diseases and her student, Fellow Marci worked several hours on my issues this afternoon.
Dr. Amie Meditz and Fellow Marci
They had me detail all of the steroids I had received since my multiple myeloma diagnosis and all the calendars that I've kept really helped in that history taking department. I also showed the photos of my first shingles breakout August 9 2009 (before my multiple myeloma diagnosis).
Dr. Meditz thinks my really upset stomach from the melphalan has inhibited my body's ability to absorb the oral acyclovir and/or Valtrex I had been receiving. Hence, she wants to treat me with IV Acyclovir for at least week. She feels like the shingle lesions I have on my left thorax below my breast will quickly dry up. Once that happens, I won't have to be in isolation with the yellow gown rule for visitors and staff and confined to my hospital room only.

1 comment:

  1. Intending that your medical team is finding a good and long term solution to your shingles challenge and that your numbers from the SCT are doing what they are supposed to do!

    ReplyDelete