jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Stem Cell Transplant - In hospital - Day Minus 1 - September 12 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Monday, September 12, 2011

Stem Cell Transplant - In hospital - Day Minus 1 - September 12 2011

I was admitted to the University of Colorado Hospital Room 1125 this morning around 9:30 AM to begin my stem cell transplant. Faye Hummel brought me this morning because Jani had to teach.
Waiting for the intravenous infusion of melphalan to begin which will kill off my bone marrow function.
During the infusion, I will have to suck and swallow ice in an attempt to decrease the irritation to my mouth and gastrointestinal tract caused by the melphalan. Here is a link to article about using the ice in prevention:

http://www.nature.com/bmt/journal/v37/n11/full/1705384a.html

Understanding Stem Cell Transplant Days. Day -1 is the day they kill your bone marrow with melphalan. The next day is called Day 0 and they give you your donated stem cells that I harvested last week. Then, the next day is Day 1, etc.

4 comments:

  1. I am currently a nursing student in Akron Ohio, and I have to tell you- your story is so inspiring :) I have a huge test tomorrow over hematology and immunity (and many other topics), but I googled a chart over immunity and your blog was one of the first things that popped up. Wow, am I glad I clicked on it- reading some of your blogs has taught me more in the past hour or so than any textbook could teach me. I created an account for this, just so that I can follow you and your story! You are such an inspiration and I am going to be looking forward to following your blog! Multiple myeloma is on my test tomorrow, so if I get any questions about it, I know that I will get them right, all because of your blog and you taking the time to post all of your results!! My prayers will be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madds06 in Akron Ohio. Glad you found my blog, but I doubt seriously that it could help you pass a hematology and immunity examination - but, not shut those textbooks that you have. Thanks for thinking of me and I'm glad you are following my blog now. jm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddso6 in Arkron Ohio - how did your hematology/immunity exam go? I know nursing school can be stressful. I taught pediatric nursing for 29 years before I retired in 2004. Look forward to hearing from you. jm

    ReplyDelete
  4. The test went really good! I got a 90%, I have been so busy with school but just got all caught up on your recent blogs!! So wonderful to see that your WBCs are coming up and your baby stem cells are growing! I just can not believe your positive outlook, every picture that I see of you, you are grinning ear to ear!! You have been in my prayers everyday and I told a few of my "nursing school friends" to take a look at your blog! Sorry I didn't respond earlier! Hope things are going okay, you aren't feeling to nauseated, and are on the road to recovery!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!!! Maddie

    ReplyDelete