jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Stem Cell Transplant Date Set

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Thursday, September 8, 2011

Stem Cell Transplant Date Set

I will get my final Velcade/Decadron/Aloxi chemotherapy Friday, September 9 2011 at Dr. Moore's office in Fort Collins. Then, I'll take oral steroids over the weekend.

I'll be admitted to the University of Colorado Hospital on Monday September 12 2011 and given the melphalan chemotherapy that will kill all of the contents of my bone marrow along with more Velcade and Decadron.

On Tuesday, September 13 2011, I get my own stem cells back via transfusion. This is considered Day 0 of the Transplant. The melphalan will make me quite sick and I will have to stay in the hospital for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks while my bone marrow recovers with the new stem cells and I recover from the GI side effects of the melphalan.

After I'm ready for discharge from the hospital, Jani and I will stay at a hotel near UCH for another week or two before I will be allowed to go back to Jani and Robbyn's in Greeley, Colorado.

On Day 60 I will have another bone marrow biopsy and they will decide based on the results if a 2nd Stem Cell Transplant would be warranted. If so, I would have to repeat the melphalan and begin with Day 0 for a second time. Oh joy~

No comments:

Post a Comment