jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Day 97 - Maintenance Chemotherapy Administration Month 1 Week 3 - December 19 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 97 - Maintenance Chemotherapy Administration Month 1 Week 3 - December 19 2011

Jani and I left Greeley, CO for UCH (Aurora, Colorado) at 5:40 AM in the dark. I had fasted for 12 hours because I was having a lipid panel drawn this morning.
I was anxious because today was the first day that I didn't have either a Trifusion Hickman Catheter or a Bard Power Port for intravenous access. From now on, all of my blood will have to be accessed from peripheral (from my arms and hands) blood draws.
My blood draw went well from my left arm with only one poke by RN Regin! My anxiety was unwarranted.
We waited in the UCH Infusion Waiting Room while my blood tests were being done in the lab.

My blood values continue excellent. My hemoglobin is normal at 12.8 (norms 12.1-16.3); white blood cell count 5.1 (norms 4-11.1); and platelets are just a tad low at 142 (norms 150-400).
 My lactate dehydrogenase is normal at 173 (norms 98-192) - a test of inflammation.
 My liver enzymes continue a tad high which is probably due to the Fragmin Injections I take daily. Alanine Aminotransferase 60 (norms 0-47) and Aspartate Aminotransferase 35 (norms 0-47).

My fasting lipid panel turned out fantastic, which is hard to believe since I've been eating 2 eggs and ham EVERY day and plenty of steak since my transplant in September. My cholesterol is just 178 (norms 0-200); HDL is 72 (norms 40-60); LDL 84 (norms 0-130); Triglycerides 110 (norms 0-150); and something called Non HDL Cholesterol 106 (norms 0-160) which is your total cholesterol minus your HDL “good cholesterol. The Non HDL Cholesterol may predict your risk of cardiovascular disease even better than your LDL “bad” cholesterol. That’s because your non-HDL number tells you all the bad cholesterol circulating in your blood – not just your LDL cholesterol.  I do take Lovastatin 40 mg daily for high cholesterol.


After my blood tests came back, RN Laura started an IV in my left hand with only one tiny poke. She was awesome! I got my Dex 20 mg and Velcade 1.7 mg. So AGAIN, my anxiety was unwarranted.


 I was also scheduled to get Zometa 4 mg, but it was not on RN Laura's order sheet. So, after some delay, it was ordered and administered intravenously. I will get Zometa (bone building) monthly.

Arrived in the oncology clinic more than 1 hour after my 9 AM Scheduled Appointment. Didn't have to wait to long and was seen by NP Angie (who works part-time). She was great and answered all of my questions. She will be sending today's clinic visit notes to my new oncologist in Idaho Falls, Idaho - Christian Shull, MD. They have scheduled in intake appointment with Dr. Shull for January 4th at 3 PM.

NP Angie said that I should have repeat echocardiogram at the very beginning of February 2012 to monitor the blood clot in my heart. She said I could walk and even ride an exercise bike now. I will continue on the Fragmin for another month and then they will decide if I can go back to aspirin for blood clot prevention.

She agreed that I might be having break through shingles on the back of my right thigh and recommends that I take 500 mg vs 250 mg of Famciclovir during the month that I receive Velcade IV each week.

NP Angie recommended that I stop taking the fat-soluble B6 Vitamin, but continue on the water-soluble B12 vitamin.

I should NOT be around any children less than 1 year of age and cautiously around any other children for a full year after my transplant and after I receive all of my childhood immunizations in one year from the date of transplant. I cannot visit any home that has a wood burning stove for a year. Fortunately, I have electric and propane heat at my home in Mackay, Idaho. I will continue taking Bactrim twice a week (Monday and Thursday) for one year to prevent lung infections. I can have house plants now and I can water them myself. I will not be allowed to mow or do yard work for 1 year. I can vacuum now, but should wear a mask while doing it.

I will need to have monthly immunoglobulins, M-Spike, and free light chains blood tests. As long as these blood tests remain normal, I'm in remission. NP Angie cautioned me to watch for increasing restless leg and leg heaviness and aches which could be a Velcade side effect which would have to be addressed if they occur.

All in all, NP Angie said that barring the heart blood clot,  I've done "as good as it gets" with my
stem cell transplant and achieving stringent complete remission.

Stopped at Donna, Scheduling and made my follow-up appointment with Han Myint, MD on April 12 2012 at 1 PM. Dr. Myint left UCH today on medical leave (he is having an elective surgery) through the end of February 2012. I wish him the best of luck and hope everything works out well for him. Donna always gives me a warm hug.

So, I only have one more Velcade/Dex intravenously appointment at UCH on Dec 26 2011 and then I'll FINALLY be HEADING HOME TO MACKAY, IDAHO on Dec 27 2011.

We were gone 6 hours which is at least 2 hours longer than we should have been gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment