jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Aredia 30 mg vs 90 mg Dosage Experience

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Sunday, January 6, 2013

Aredia 30 mg vs 90 mg Dosage Experience

I have been receiving Aredia 90 mg intravenously once a month for bone building. I've had terrible side effects lasting up to 4 days after each infusion including headache, aches all over, and severe fatigue. I tried taking Claritin on the the day of the infusion and it helped the aches to some degree, but not the headache. I complained that I was no longer willing to lose a week per month to Aredia. 

One of my blog readers, Terry from New Jersey, commented that he had gone to a reduced dosage of 30 mg as a result of a study published in the Lancet October 2010 by the Nordic Myeloma Study Group[  http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045%2810%2970198-4/abstract

I shared the study with my oncologists and on 2 Jan 2013 and I received the the lower 30 mg dosage. I took Claritin for insurance. On this day, I also received 20 mg of Dex IV with my IV carfilzomib, IV cytoxan, and Revlimid 10 mg by mouth, so this isn't a true test of just Aredia.

However, the day of the Aredia infusion, I felt fine. I woke the next morning feeling well. By evening, I developed a headache (all over type) and low back aches. I took plain Tylenol and had a nap. I woke from the nap without headache, but the low back ache persisted until the next day and then was gone. 

So, overall, I did a LOT BETTER with the 30 mg vs 90 mg dosage of Aredia (pamidronate).

Walked Kemmer 0.8 miles at noon - nearly 30 degrees today January 6 2013.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear to went better for you this time! Terry L. from NJ P.S. I finished my 8 cycles of carfilzomib/rev/dex three weeks ago and I was told my marrow was clean. I now will be on 10mg rev for two years...and of course 30mg Aredia per month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Terry. So glad your marrow is doing so well on carfilzomib/revlimid and and dex. jm

    ReplyDelete