jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Relapsed High-Risk Myeloma - Two Units Packed Red Blood Cells Transfusion - Update May 14 2013

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Relapsed High-Risk Myeloma - Two Units Packed Red Blood Cells Transfusion - Update May 14 2013

Up at o'dark thirty again to be on the road to St. Luke's Hospital in Twin Falls, Idaho for a 9 AM appointment (drive time 2 hours 20 minutes).

We arrived just on time even though we had to stop in Shoshone so I could use the facilities - everything moving VERY FAST south for the last 2 days, which is NOT FUN. I think it must be do to the Revlimid 5 mg I started 7 May 2013. I've taken Imodium each day - sometimes twice. 

I have a sinus infection with lots of left-sided eye and nose pressure, nasty drainage and all that goes with sinus problems, so I will start on some antibiotics today.

My white blood cell count is coming down and Dr. Padavanija thinks it will continue to drift down for the 2 1/2 week nadir of Bendamustine. Today it was low at 2.4 (norms 4.5-11); ANC (absolute neutrophil count) was low, but not that low at 1.72 (norms 1.9-8.); hemoglobin low at 8.6 (norms 12-16); and platelets low at 35 (norms 140-440).


Dr. Padavanija thought it was best for me to get 1 or 2 units of packed red blood cells today, 14 May 2013. So, while Jani went to about half the retail outlets in Twin Falls, I got 2 units of blood. RN's Vicki and MeLisa check my blood against my type and cross lab work.
 I slept through the first unit - SNORING according the nurses.
AGAIN and AGAIN. Thank you Idaho VOLUNTEER blood and platelet donors for keeping me alive! You're all the BEST! 

History of All Blood Transfusions Since Diagnosis May 24 2011

  1. May 14 2013 (2 units)
  2. May 7 2013
  3. Apr 19 2013
  4. Apr 10 2013
  5. May 16 2012 (2 units)
  6. April 2 2012  (2 units)
  7. Sept 22 2011 (2 units)
  8. Sept 7 2011 (2 units)
Chem Panel still showing low level kidney failure with  GFR at 58 (norms greater than 60).


Back to the the pharmacy for Jani for my sinus antibiotics. We were able to leave and were back in Mackay, Idaho around 5:30 PM.  The wind was blowing in the Big Lost River Valley and not a good day to plowin' your field.



1 comment: