jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy for Staging May 24 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy for Staging May 24 2011

Dr. Moore was able to get me in for a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy in his office at noon May 24 2011. They do the bone marrow and bone biospy to stage the multiple myeloma which has 3 stages (1 is better than 2, better than 3). They will also do DNA studies for cytogenetics on the sample which will be sent to Califonia. Will not have the results back for 7-10 days and I made an appointment for June 6, 2001 4 PM to get the results. Nothing will happen in the treatment department until the results are back.

Jani went with me. Here we are in the waiting room.
First, they drew more blood and had the results STAT (fast). They had to poke me 3 times (3 different workers) before they got my blood. AGAIN, I look way too happy!

Still anemic, even a little more than last week, however, I think I've had 20 vials of blood drawn since the beginning of all this.


The bone marrow aspiration and biopsy May 24 2011 by Dr. Moore in his office.

They have a small room with a bed that has a soft mattress. Jani was able to wait in the room with me until the procedure began. This the bone marrow tray they used which has the instructions on it just in case - I guess~
Inside the tray from the internet.
The position I was in for the procedure  - on my left side curled up - not uncomfortable at all to be in this position.

Waiting briefly for Dr. Moore to come in to start the procedure.

I listened to my iPod music during the procedure which was only done with local lidocaine at the area to numb it. I was very brave and I did NOT like the procedure at all! If any more are on the horizon for me - I'll insist on conscious sedation.
This next photo is from the internet, but it is exactly what happend to me.
This is my vial of bone marrow.
These are my bone marrow slides.
This is something called the bone marrow clot (it's mine too).
The last part was to get a 1 1/4 inch piece of bone out of my iliac crest. It looks like a Shay railroad spike to me.
My bone biospsy - 1 and 1/4 inch long. While he was getting the bone, YMCA was playing on my iPod - not ENOUGH DISTRACTION though.
Taped me up too much after the procedure - I think they forgot that I have tape listed as an allergy.
Jani, showing me the pictures of the biopsy since I had to lay flat for 20 minutes after the procedure.
We were out of there at 1:10 PM - would have been faster if they'd gotten my blood on the first poke. Dr. Moore's part went flawlessly.
Came home and Jani tried to trim the excess tape over the bone marrow site. Have to leave the tape on for 24 hours. While she was doing this with scissors, she cut my skin and I YELPED LOUDLY~

Tape trim job ala my sister, Jani
I'm glad that is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment