jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Melphalan Dosage Day -1 - September 12 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Monday, September 12, 2011

Melphalan Dosage Day -1 - September 12 2011

One really nice thing about having a Trifusion Hickman Catheter is that they can instantly attach IV lines to you without ANY NEEDLE POKING. The nurse drew my blood and sent it off for multiple testings. They also started me on 24-hour urine collection.
Nurse Nicole got me hooked up the fluids.


In preparation for the melphalan dosage to kill my bone marrow function, the nurses gave me
Ativan, Magnesium 2 Grams (because my blood values were low on admission), Zofran 8 MG IV and then my melphalan around 6 PM. I had already taken 20 mg oral dexathemasone this morning, so did not need an additional dose with the Zofran. 

At 5:30 PM, I started sucking, chewing, and swallowing ice chips in an attempt to cool my mouth and GI tract. I was cold and had to put my cap and sweatshirt on. I should of had my snow mittens or gloves, but Faye substituted one of my clean socks to hold the cold glass full of ice.  I continued with ice chips and popsicles when they hung the melphalan which ran for 15 minutes.
Nurse Hannah hangs the melphalan at 6 PM, September 12 2011
Melphalan is light sensitive and needs to have a sun shade over it.
I continued to eat ice and had a couple of popsicles while the melphalan ran and then I continued with more ice for 30 minutes after the melphalan was completed.


My Transplant Coordinator Nurse, Dana Godec, RN is out sick. I MISS HER. I'm wishing her a quick recovery - all of last week, I thought Dana was coming down with something - hope it is not serious. Another nurse Transplant Coordinator is covering for her, Tina Russell, RN who came to meet me and have me sign a stem cell transplant consent form. In addition, two Oncology Nurse Practitioners, Diana and Carrie (NPs) came to seem me. I shared with them the list of medications and allergies that I typed up so they could use the information as the write my inpatient orders.

They were SLOW in getting me in to the new computer system and I was unable to order lunch via the hospital call-in-your-order system, because the system did not know I was here yet. So, Faye Hummel ran across the street to be Big City Burrito and got us burritos for lunch - yummy. She brought back their menu and there are many good choices. I am limited to a neutropenic diet which eliminates things like lettuce, tomatoes, fruits and veggies, and anything poorly cooked.

Jani arrived around 2 PM and stayed until well after dark. Faye Hummel brought me this morning and ended up staying until well after dinner time - a very long friendship shift - thanks Faye!!!!!!

At bedtime, they gave me repeat dose of Ativan for nausea and my usual night time pills.

My stomach is SOUR and I've been drinking Kellogg's Special K Protein Shake French Vanilla Flavor which helps coat my stomach - also eating low-salt saltines.

Slept until just about 2 AM. I have to wear a mask if I leave the room, so I put one on and walked the hallway up and back for 11 minutes. Helps my creepy legs syndrome. My IV pole has very poor rolling wheels and I'm going to contact maintainence tomorrow on either a repair job or a replacement pole!





No comments:

Post a Comment