jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Shingles and a new drug - September 23 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Friday, September 23, 2011

Shingles and a new drug - September 23 2011

My shingles have not improved with intravenous acyclovir and have spread to the opposite side of my thorax, so Dr. Myint decided to put me intravaneous Foscavir which is another type of antiviral. Fortunately, the University of Colorado Hospital Pharmacy was able to obtain Foscavir for me, as it is in short supply in the United States and they are getting it from England.

Foscavir can upset your electrolytes and damage your kidneys. Hence, they will be monitoring and replacing my electrolytes as needed and giving me large volumes of intravenous fluids as a pre-treatment to prevent kidney damage while I am given Foscavir.

No comments:

Post a Comment