jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Day 69 - Eve of Trifusion Hickman Catheter Removal - November 21 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 69 - Eve of Trifusion Hickman Catheter Removal - November 21 2011

We are headed to the University of Colorado Hospital (UCH) Interventional Radiology tomorrow morning to have my Trifusion Hickman Catheter removed. So hoping the blood clots in my heart have resolved and the removal goes smoothly. As instructed, I have held my Fragmin blood thinner injection today. I'd be lying if I told you that I was not nervous. They are hoping they do not have to remove my Bard Power Port under the skin on my right chest wall because I will need it for my maintenance chemotherapy for the next 3 years.

2 comments:

  1. Just read your story and my heart goes out to you and the efforts undergone to battle your myeloma. You are a courageous fighter and for whatever its worth, you have my highest regards. I was diagnosed with MM in mid September and am just completing my 5th and final cycle of V-D-R. Preparing now for autologous stem cell transplant next month. I'm hopeful of the desired outcome but your story shows that it is never a given. Having never been ill or hospitalized before my diagnosis, the onslaught of all involved with this process leaves me with fear and anxiety going into it. Will use my free 3 weeks to bolster my body and mind to try and be ready. Godspeed to you ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry, sorry you have joined the ranks of the multiple myeloma world. You CANNOT use my example as TYPICAL! I have high risk multiple myeloma with cytogenetic changes 4:14 and 1q21 which only 10-15 percent of multiple myeloma patients have. My type of high risk myeloma is hard if not impossible to treat. Most patients with myeloma do NOT have cytogenetic changes and an autologous stem cell transplant gives months to years of remission. I hoping this for you. My description of my 1st autologous stem cell transplant (listed on my BLOG LABELS as "Day" may help you to understand the process of autologous transplant as I was told it was very typical. My BEST RECOMMENDATION to you is chew ice 20 mintues before the melphalan is giving, all during the melphalan administration and at least 20 minutes after. I did this for both of my autologous transplants and I did not get ANY mouth sores! You need to take gloves to wear and a hooded sweatshirt to stay warm during this process. If I had not demanded the ice, I'm not sure my nurses would have offered it - the ice made a world of difference for me! Take care and feel free to email me at rudi48@atcnet.net

    ReplyDelete