jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: Day 70 - Trifusion Hickman Catheter Removal - November 22 2011

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day 70 - Trifusion Hickman Catheter Removal - November 22 2011

Jani and I went early to the University of Colorado Hospital Interventional Radiology this morning. We were delighted when Shawn Egle showed up to visit with us. Shawn was diagnosed with multiple myeloma the month before I was and had her stem cell transplant about 1 month after I did. She is doing great! It is so nice to have someone to go through all of this with.
We requested to talk to the doctor before the procedure - Janette Durham, MD. Dr. Durham told us that my blood clots in my heart were pretty unusual - that they only see this about twice a year. She was very frank with us and told us she didn't know if the blood clots in my heart would be released in to my lung when she removed the Trifusion Hickman Catheter or not. If that did happened, I could expect to wake up intubated with a machine breathing for me or I could die (but, she didn't think that would happen). Dr. Durham spent a lot of time with us and did not seem rushed even though we knew they were behind in the daily schedule as we had waited more than an hour past our appointment time. I liked the doctor and had a lot of trust in her.

Nurse Karlie accessed my Bard Power Port and hung a bag of normal saline after she drew some blood for bleeding and clotting times.

Waiting for the procedure and watching television November 22 2011. I walked back to the procedure room where I was put on a big moving table under a big x-ray machine with a bank of monitors. The nurse, Kristie, put EKG leads on my chest and Mel made sure the machines were lined up. I was given light intravenous conscious sedation and I don't remember anything after they got me set up. Dr. Durham pulled the catheter out - I DIDN'T DIE and so far, I don't have a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in my lung). The clot could still break away and go in to my lung. If that happens, I would know because I would be short of breath and have chest pain. We were instructed to call 911 if this happens. Dr. Durham thinks I should have my Bard Power Port removed too and will consult Dr. Myint regarding this.

I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that Jani brought for me.

They monitored my vital signs for 1 hour, tested me walking for chest pain and/or shortness of breath (I did fine) and then Jani and I were on our way home to Greeley, Colorado. I slept all the way in the back.

I'm to start my Fragmin injections tonight and that's the whole "happily boring" story.

1 comment: