jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: What Does All This DAY Counting Mean?

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What Does All This DAY Counting Mean?

After an autologous stem cell transplant (means you donate your own stem cells for the transplant) the first 100 Days after the transplant are when most complications might arise. I have none of my previous immunities to anything and have to be careful not to "catch a bug" during my recovery. My transplant center at the University of Colorado Hospital (UCH) requires that I stay in the area for 100 Days after my transplant which was done on September 13, 2011. This way, if a complication were to occur, I'd be able to return to UCH quickly. After 100 Days, I can return home to Mackay, Idaho. However, recovery of ones immunity after a stem cell transplant generally takes between 6 months to 1 year. At some point, I will have to get my childhood immunization again.

Now to complicate my DAY counting - I may require a 2nd or tandem autologous stem cell transplant in mid-November 2011. I am having a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow, November 2, 2011 and when the results are back in 1 week on November 9, 2011, the decision will be made if a 2nd transplant will be warranted. If I need the 2nd transplant, then my 100 DAY counting would begin anew on the day of the 2nd transplant which begins the counting again with Day 0.

1 comment:

  1. Tomorrow is a big day, and then you will have what will feel like a long wait for the results. I've got my fingers crossed for you ...getting home to Mackay would be a great Christmas present.
    At the same time, I think you're such a determined and resilient person that starting another hundred days wouldn't set your head spinning.

    ReplyDelete