jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: New Oncologist in Idaho Falls, Idaho - January 4 2012

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Oncologist in Idaho Falls, Idaho - January 4 2012

I drove myself 100 miles from Mackay, Idaho to Idaho Falls, Idaho to meet my new oncologist, Christian Shull, MD.  I have to leave our Big Lost River Valley drive across the high desert to Idaho Falls which is before you get to the Tetons.
Twin Buttes on Highway 20 January 4 2012
Tetons way off in the distance on Highway 20 January 4 2012.


We had a good meeting and he had the orders for maintenance chemotherapy and labs from my transplant doctor, Han Myint, MD at the University of Colorado Hospital. Dr. Shull ordered a repeat echocardiogram for me for tomorrow to evaluate my right atrial blood clot in my heart.

Dr. Shull's office, Snake River Oncology is large. Without Jani, I had to take my own picture, I think the receptionist thought I was crazy.

Fishing photos on the exam room.
My white blood cells are below normal at 3.3 (norms 4.1 to 10.9 at this lab). I continue NOT anemic with a normal Hg at 13.5 (norms 12 to 18 at this lab), and my platelets are normal at 285 (norms 140 to 440 at this lab). My MCV (mean corpuscular volume) or size of the average red blood cell is high at 98.5 (norms 80-97) probably due to the change in elevation between Colorado and Idaho.
I don't have the other lab values yet because they send them out. In addition, I asked if they had lab values available online and they do not - Dr. Shull said "Welcome to rural Idaho!" when I asked about it. I'm going to ask that they mail (snail mail) them to me in Mackay.


I finally got the January 4 2012 lab values on January 16 2012.


I had a nice email from Shirley Olsen offering to take me to Idaho Falls tomorrow for my echocardiogram. I emailed her back that I was fine and thanked her for the offer.



No comments:

Post a Comment