jm's Adventure with Multiple Myeloma: I Think, NO, I KNOW - December 1 2012

Total Pageviews

Click on photos to make them larger and clearer. New to the blog, the oldest or beginning entries are at the bottom and you read upwards to the most recent date or go to Labels and begin with Entry 1. Use the alpha Labels on right to find topics of most interest to you.







Saturday, December 1, 2012

I Think, NO, I KNOW - December 1 2012

I think, NO, I know - I hate Aredia (bone building medication). I received intravenous Aredia on Tuesday, 27 Nov 2012 and I have been wiped out ever since! First, it gave me a headache, and aches all over, then completely sapped my energy for 3 days.

I went to the Lost River Medical Center in Arco, Idaho yesterday for a blood draw to check my platelets. My white blood cell count is down to 1.9 which is considered "critically low" (norms 4.5-11). My ANC (absolute neutrophil count is 1.05 (norms 2-8). Lost River Medical Center faxed the results to St. Luke's Hospital MSTI in Twin Falls and RN Brittany called me to caution me to stay away from sick people and to do good hand washing.

My hemoglobin is a tad low at 10.9 (norms 12-16) and my platelets were 108 (norms 140-440) so I can continue on my full-dose 15,000 units Fragmin injections.

I also got my SPEP results drawn on 27 Nov 2012 at St. Luke's Hospital MSTI, Twin Falls. My M-Spike is 0.5. My free light chains were unable to be calculated because my values were below their reportable ranges.
History of SPEP Overtime 8 Mar 2012 to 27 Nov 2012:
My immunoglobulins are still non-existent except for IgG is 720 (norms 700-1600); IgA Less Than 13 (norms 70-400), and IgM Less Than 8 (norms 40-230).

Total Protein 7.1 (norms 6-8.2)
Albumin 4.2 (norms 3-5.2)
Alpha 1  0.3 (norms 0.1-0.4) 
Alpha 2  0.7 (norms 0.5-1.1)
Beta   1.2 (norms 0.7-1.5)
Gamma  0.7 (norms 0.5-1.6)
M Spike 0.5 (norms 0)
Alpha/Gamma 1.5 (0)

History of my immunoglobulins since 2nd ASCT 18 May 2012 and before.


3 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been following your blog and found it from the Myeloma Beacon. I am a 50 year old man from NJ with light chain only myeloma. I am in the carfilzomib trial at the NIH and doing well. I also take Aredia but at a 30mg dose not the 90mg that is usually given. My doctors at the NIH allowed me the low dose based on extensive research done by the MYeloma Nordic study group which found out that the 30mg dose was just as effective at the higher dose but with greatly reduced side effects. Talk to you doctors about it. The y should be aware of that study! Good luck. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Terry for the information and I will discuss it with my doctors. jm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, I found the Lancet article - thanks again. By the way, what is light-chain-only myeloma? jm

    ReplyDelete